In the Name of God, Allah the Almighty, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As salam aleikoum, hello and welcome to my blog!
- My name is Itto, originally I was named Stefanie.
- I come from Germany, but since more than a decade I live in Morocco;
- I guess I am in my best years, actually around fourty;
- I was a believing Christian. At the age of 25 I converted to Islam and am now a practicing Muslim woman;
- I studied at university and have a master in interior architecture and design;
- I am happily married to an Amazigh, a Berber man of the Ait Bouguemez-tribe, alhamdulillah;
- together we have five kids, three boys and two girls, tbarakallah – two of our children are hearing impaired;
- we are the founders, leaders and social entrepreneurs of a school and social education center in the High Atlas mountains;
- I love learning and growing, developing and challenging myself, learning about who I am and trying to give my possible best;
- I am an optimist, I prefer to see challenges instead of “problems” an I believe we always have a choice;
- I would call myself a beauty-loving person, I love to see, experience and create beauty in every way. And I try to share that view on this blog.
Some details about my way and about this blog
I am born and grown up in southern Germany where I studied interior architecture. Then I spent several months in Marrakech for practical formation. There I converted to Islam and felt in love with a Berber man, thanks God, so I became a servant to Allah, the wife of this man and later the mother of our children, subhanallah.
In 2004, after finishing my studies, we made hijrah and I moved from Germany to Morocco.
Since then we live in the remote Moroccan High Atlas Mountains amongst my husband’s tribe on 1800m altitude and far away from big cities and most modern things, alhamdulillah.
Here, in the middle of nowhere, I first lived as a full-time mum together with the locals and was engaged in responsible tourism and sustainable community projects.
Then, in 2010, my husband and I founded a free elementary school with a holistic, individualized and very human pedagogy, and since then we are developing and building a whole campus of education, growth, peaceful cross-cultural exchange and chances for all.
This is my personal blog which I started in 2008 as a way to get connected with the worlds, to keep in touch with far-away friends and family, and to tell about the beauty of Islam and about my living in Morocco, in a very traditional environment.
Since then, this blog has changed a lot, just as my life and myself did, alhamdulillah:
It documents my personal development from a stay-at-home mum with two little ones to a social entrepreneur with five children, sixty pupils and over fifteen employees, mashaallah…
I write here mostly about thing I like and love, about my inner growth, about my faith and how I see the world, and sometimes also about our family and work and how we try to live a sustainable life in these remote mountains of Morocco.
I mostly focus on the good, the joy and the blessings.
My musings are snapshots of our everyday. I try to recognize God’s gifts in everything – that is how I go through my days and that is what helps me surviving also the struggles and hard times, alhamdulillah.
I rarely mention here the messes, the fights, the yelling, the doubts, the fatigue, the solitude, and the bitterness I also live from time to time. I don’t want to share it with the world for different reasons, but mostly because I don’t want to pay too much attention to it.
I believe that we can minimize religious and cultural misunderstandings by explaining, sharing and informing. Peace and respect grow through knowledge, through mutual tolerance, acceptance and the focus on what unites us.
With this blog I hope to contribute in global peace and understanding and in a fruitful interreligious and cross-cultural dialogue, inchaallah and God willingly.
“O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another.” (the holy Qur’an 49:13)
My whole life belongs to Allah and for His sake I am writing here. I bear witness that there is no God except Allah, and that Muhammad (sas) is His prophet and messenger.
Thank you for your visit. May you be blessed, and may peace and love be with the worlds!
Please know that I appreciate your visit and that I read every comment you leave.
But I seldom find the time to answer.
So if you really need a reply, please shoot me an email at “itto.berber(at)gmail.com” and I will try my best to answer as soon as possible (which can take some time).
The content of this blog is protected and all rights are reserved.
Please inform me or put at least a link to the source if you use some of my text or pictures!
All Copyrights by itto: c’2008-2018
Note: I am not responsible for the content of any mentioned link here.