baby moon – in bed with baby after birth
As a parent there are many choices to make and a lot of different opinions turn around each one. Today I want to share some of the choices we made since we had our first child nearly ten years ago; choices that proved to be good ones and to which we still stick to, now even with the fourth one, alhamdulillah:
- natural homebirth without PDA or other painkillers (thanks God that I never had complications that forced me to go to hospital, alhamdulillah)
- fully embracing baby moon and staying in bed after birth- at least for a week or two (Wochenbett).
This I consider such an important part on the journey of being a new mom; this is the “vacation” you need after pregnancy and birth to become ready for all the challenges as a new mother; this I consider as so important to give your body the time to recover and to fall in love with the newborn. The hormonal ups and downs and the defining of your new role now is already difficult enough, so it is important to rest, to have time to sleep and quiet to think, to be pampered by others in these first days and to have someone who takes care of you, of the household tasks and especially of the older children. I am very thankful, that I had always the luck to be accompanied by very caring people, subhanallah.
- breastfeeding baby: at least 6 month fully (the best vaccination ever) and then slowly beginning to feed food but continuing with breast milk up to two years, inchallah, such as it is ordered by Allah even in the holy Qur’an.
- cloth diapering instead of plastic (I use many different styles, here is some good information for beginners)
- natural fibres, eco fabrics and healthy products for baby. I think it is very important, especially in the first months, to keep baby warm with materials that are healthy and feel good (wool, silk, cotton) and to keep away artificial fragrances (often used in baby products but also mom’s perfume, strong shampoo etc). This time we even made our own chamomile-calendula oil to clean baby’s bud, alhamdulillah.
- co-sleeping and sharing the family-bed (attachment parenting in general)
- carrying and wearing baby in a sling (now, after more than 16 weeks, I am wearing baby also on my back)
What choices did you make and why?
Self-made baby cleaner with olive oil and chamomile/calendula
Treats during babymoon
P.S.: Happy 1435 after Hijrah to all my sisters out there! Salam aleikoum.